dhcpd capacity

fadey fadey at scancom.es
Tue Nov 6 09:53:47 UTC 2007

Hello, everyone.

I'm experiencing a problem with dhcpd in a cable network. Once cable
modems are reset (I have about 200), a storm of packets is flooding
dhcpd and it can't serve the networking  information to all of cable
modems at once. For about every 5 DISCOVERs I see 1 OFFER (with
tcpdump). So, I guess that either some OFFERSs are being dropped or by
the time they reach a cable modem a timeout opccurs.
I'm wondering if there is something in the configuration that can
influence the responce time of dhcpd.
Thanks in advance