Is the client-hostname value searchable?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Nov 6 03:45:03 UTC 2007

	Is it possible to use the computer name data sent by the
host during booting to classify clients?

	An example follows:

Oct  7 00:00:11 landlord dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.0.200 from
00:13:20:a7:cf:96 via 192.168.0.1
Oct  7 00:00:11 landlord dhcpd:
DHCPACK on 192.168.0.200 to 00:13:20:a7:cf:96
(node100.ceatlabs.okstate.edu) via 192.168.0.1

	The client chose that name when configuring his
computer. Is there an option string we can put in the dhcpd.conf
file to look for, say, the domain name and put that client in a
class?

	What I am trying to do is create an automatic mechanism
for clients who want to have a different domain name than the
default domain name in that particular VLAN . We would just tell
them to be sure to have xyz.okstate.edu or whatever the domain
name is so we can give them the right booting environment.

	When a lease is granted, this value appears as the last
parameter in the particular lease definition as client-hostname
but there is no variable assignment which is why I ask if we can
use it.

	Thanks for any help. Some of these things aren't very
safe to try on a live dhcp server, especially if they produce
unexpected results.:-)

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer