one DHCPD server multi subnets

tangaish.en tangaishien at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 01:23:28 UTC 2007

hi, dhcp-users!

now my conf file look like this:

ddns-update-style interim;
ignore client-updates;

subnet 172.16.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {

# --- default gateway

        option domain-name              "guest.XXX.com";
        option domain-name-servers      172.16.1.2,172.16.1.4;

        option netbios-name-servers     172.16.1.4;
        default-lease-time 21600;
        max-lease-time 43200;

pool {
        range 172.16.5.210 172.16.5.220;
        option routers                  172.16.5.1;
        option subnet-mask              255.255.255.0;
        }

pool {
        range 172.16.4.210 172.16.4.220;
        option routers                  172.16.4.1;
        option subnet-mask              255.255.255.0;
        }
}

I can't test it because of  the 3-layer switch  offer dhpc function and
PCs need it every work day, I must wait weekend to try isc dhcp and
switch relay.

I think this  conf file don't work.

first I put a laptop on vlan5 and dhcp should offer the laptop a address
like 172.16.5.21X/24, gateway 172.16.5.1.

then I release the vlan5 ip address, dsconnect laptop from vlan5, put
the same laptop on vlan 4 and dhcp should offter the laptop a address
like 172.16.4.21X/24,gateway 172.16.4.1

I want to know dhcpd run with this conf file can do it or not? if yes
I'm intersting in figure out how isc dhcpd know which dhcprequest is
coming from that net, is there a relay address in dhcprequest package
and dhcpd assign address base on that address?

BTW, I think dhcpd document need some configure example and reference
link,  I read dhcpd.conf man page "CLIENT CLASSING" section:

class "ras-clients" {
         match if substring (option dhcp-client-identifier, 1, 3) = "RAS";
       }

I think option dhcp-client-identifier should have many parameter, but I
can't find any more info about option dhcp-client-identifier, if there's
something like " for more information about option
dhcp-client-identifier, please refer to XXX or RFCXXX, maybe it's much
better than just one example.

thanks.