Configure routing (with netmask)

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu May 10 09:30:39 UTC 2007

Vitor Flausino wrote:
>What is configured there is the default gateway.
>What is want is also to provide some specific routing.
>
>Example:
>
>Default gateway -> 1.1.1.1
>For IP/Netmask 1.1.2.0/255.255.255.0 -> 1.1.1.2
>For IP/Network 1.1.3.0/255.255.255.0 -> 1.1.1.3

There is an option for this - try the archives for previous discussions.

HOWEVER - I don't think any of the common clients will do anything
with it (they don't ask for it, and if you force it on them they will
probably just ignore it).

I respectfully suggest that the best way to do this is to configure
all your routers with the correct routing and it becomes transparent
to your clients. Apart from the hassle of configuring clients with
routing tables (and of course changing them whenever your network
alters), there is also the minor issue that many clients simply don't
have support for anything more than a default router.