Failover Clarification

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed May 9 13:02:09 UTC 2007

>From: "Benjamin Wiechman" <benw at meltel.com>
>To: <dhcp-users at isc.org>
>Subject: RE: Failover Clarification
>Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 19:33:05 -0500

The two servers communicate with each other frequently, and go through
various pool balancing exercises so that they tend to keep an equal
number of free leases on each server.

When you're down to the last free IP one server will not reply because
it has no lease to offer. The other server should offer the available
lease that it has.

About a year ago I did some work for a client to set up a script which
ran on each dhcp server. When communication was lost for a certain
amount of time (30 or 60 minutes I think) it used the omshell interface
to switch the server to partner down. When the partner communications
returns dhcpd automatically return to failover mode by itself.

The details should be in the archives. It was a pretty simple script,
and it only got used once in a DR test where we manually switched off
the network between sites. This client had redundant networks, etc, so
we never had a real failure to test it out.

regards,
-glenn