DHCPd problem with PXE/Windows clients - multiple leases

David Rickard david.rickard at bcuc.ac.uk
Wed May 9 10:43:17 UTC 2007

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I did find the patch to change the behaviour - it's definitely a
possible way out of this, although presumably only works on certain
versions of the code. I'm not at all scared of patching and compiling
dhcpd myself tho, so I will quite possibly try it.

I did find (at the suggestion of a colleague) that setting a static
address in the host declaration in the dhcpd.conf makes the PC stay on
the same address regardless, probably because it is always using the MAC
as the identifier. That will actually work out quite nicely for us with
some PCs as we would prefer to have them on static IPs (for firwalls and
things), only they need to be able to roam, so DHCP is desirable for
maintaining the configuration.

Our open-access student computer rooms we have less concern about which
IP which PC is on, so in those instances, the patch would be more
relevant, but I am looking at re-writing my web interface for managing
the hosts to just automagically put the IPs into the config and be done
with it.

I'll give those two options a whirl though.

Many thanks again.

--

David Rickard
ICT Security Officer