USB-to-Ethernet Relay

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri May 4 13:15:38 UTC 2007

Kaustuv De (w/PGDIT) wrote:

>I would like to develop a USB-to-Ethernet relay.
>
>This system will require an internal DHCP client to
>configure the Ethernet interface. In particular it
>will need the following to operate in the network:
>+ its own IP address
>+ its subnet mask
>+ the gateway address
>To act as a relay, it will additionally require:
>+ the IP address of the m/c which will host the USB virtual
>   devices
>+ the port number through which it will connect to that host
>   to the USB virtual device server.
>
>Initially, I am to write a linux based dhcp client. After that
>I have to port that to a FPGA kit with both USB and
>Ethernet interfaces.
>Should I write a standrad dhcp client..can any body please give me some
>idea, what will be ideal approach...

I'm still unclear on this. You start off by describing how to
configure a host with USB devices attached - that is stuff you can do
"off the shelf" in just about any Linux distro.

Then you write : "To act as a relay, it will additionally require ..."

Is this the relay agent or host you are talking about ? One think you
have to realise is that it's rather difficult to have a relay agent
that is itself configured by DHCP (except for the case where you use
DHCP to configure the 'outside', and relay requests from the inside
where you have a manual config).

Is "the m/c which will host the USB virtual devices" the same machine
as the relay agent, or a completely different machine ?

Sorry to sound negative, but I just cannot visualise what it is you
are trying to build and how it is supposed to function.