dhcpd performance?

Jiann-Ming Su sujiannming at gmail.com
Wed May 2 14:56:07 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Do I detect a hint of internal politics going on here ? Are the phone
> guys pushing to use a different DHCP server by any chance ?

They're not asking for another dhcp server.  it's just a problem
endemic to our organization as a whole.  Groups will deploy
applications without fully understanding how those applications work.
When the application gets misconfigured, "It's the network's fault!!
Let's wait two weeks for those lowly network admins to verify the
network isn't the problem, then we'll call the vendors."  But, I'm
sure everybody's heard this broken record before.

The problem with VoIP is the "dumb users" know how a phone should
work.   They won't be as forgiving with phones as they are with
computers.  And, if the folks in charge of voice don't really know how
this voice application works on top of the data network, debugging it
will be that much more difficult.

--
Jiann-Ming Su
"The system's broke, Hank.  The election baby has peed in