dhcpd performance?

Bruce Hudson Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca
Tue May 1 19:36:50 UTC 2007

> How many simultaneous dhcp discover/requests can dhcpd handle?  Thanks
> for any info.

    The DHCP server is single threaded so it can only deal with a single
request at a time.

    Normally the bottleneck is the time it takes to ping an address to
ensure it is not already in use. I think the timeout is one second so
the server can handle an average of one request per second.

    Without ping the limit is disk I/O. All leases must be recorded to
permanent storage before it is acknowledged.

    With reasonable lease times, I have never seen the performance of
the DHCP server be an issue. If it is, you should probably rethink what
you are doing.
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson at Dal.CA
UCIS, Networks and Systems		|