Multiple Domains possible?

Derek Litton derek at ll.mit.edu
Tue Jun 26 12:41:35 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I am running a Redhat Linux server running DHCP 3.01 and bind 9.2.4 I
was wondering if it was possible to have DHCP hand out multiple
domains to search through.

Right now I use the line:

option domain-name "e.d.c.b.a"

in my dhcp.conf file.

where a-e are parts of my domain. In my environment we are a
subdomain for a larger environment. If for example hostA is on my
network and I do a query it resolves fine as hostA.e.d.c.b.a. If
hostB in on the upper domain, my DNS server tries to resolve it as
hostB.e.d.c.b.a, then hands it off to alternate DNS servers but still
as hostB.e.d.c.b.a, not hostB.d.c.b.a. If I manually put in the
multiple search paths on specific machines everything works great and
it resolves both hostA.e.d.c.b.a and hostB.d.c.b.a. I would love to
have DHCP itself hand out the multiple domains, it is possible?

Thanks,
Derek