problem with dhcp setup

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Tue Jun 19 18:40:59 UTC 2007

On Jun 19, 2007, at 4:58 AM, John Jason Brzozowski (CISSP, RHCT) wrote:
> I do agree with you, however, I am sure you would agree that DHCP
> servers
> have been accounting for client shortcomings for quite some time.
> As much
> as I hate to admit it this I suspect this will continue as we the
> adoption
> of IPv6 advances.

If a major vendor of DHCP server software caves and starts "fixing"
clients that don't send ORO, then the client will never get fixed.
Our experience in DHCP is that people who implement clients only
follow the standard if not following the standard causes the client
to fail with a widely-used server.   So IMHO at this point in the
development of the protocol, it is *crucial* that DHCPv6 server
implementations be literal in their interpretation of the procotol
spec; otherwise we will have tons of buggy clients, and tons of
interop problems.