Massive "lease imbalance - lts" then silent crash

ashley.hatch at unlv.edu ashley.hatch at unlv.edu
Tue Jun 5 23:05:08 UTC 2007

We have been using ISC DHCPd with failover for about 5 years and in the
only in the last 9 months have been running into a problem with the
failover servers.
Basically at a random point which may be days or weeks between one of the
two server, seemingly always now the primary, will stop responding to DHCP
requests and spews "lease imbalance - lts" into the logfiles by the
hundreds. I am used to the LTS messages, as they are part of the standard
log, but this is uninterrupted 30 messages/s until the daemon either:
A) crashes with no log entry or core file OR
B) eventually recovers after 1-10min of not answering DHCP.

Log entries look like:
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 2
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 10
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 7
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 11
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 10
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 2
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 10
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 14
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 6
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 2

I am currently running version 3.0.4-13  on Debian 3.1. I have tried
running hardware diagnostics on the boxes with no problems found and I
have captured traffic during a "timeout" and traffic can flow into and out
of the box, but it refuses to reply to DHCP requests.

Any help or direction would be appreciated. We did not seem to have this
problem until we started using redundant HSRP routers to act as DHCP
helpers per subnet.