qemu dhcp server hack

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Fri Jun 1 05:31:22 UTC 2007

This is a bit OT, but hopefully not to far off...

qemu has a built in dhcp server.  the command line supports specifying a
hostname that will get included with the dhcp offer:

man qemu
        -net user[,vlan=n][,hostname=name]
            Use the user mode network stack which requires no administrator
            priviledge to run.  hostname=name can be used to specify the client
            hostname reported by the builtin DHCP server.

Here is the code that implements it:
juser at e18:~/qemu/qemu-snapshot-2007-05-31_05$ vim slirp/bootp.c
#define RFC1533_HOSTNAME        12

         if (*slirp_hostname) {
             val = strlen(slirp_hostname);
             *q++ = RFC1533_HOSTNAME;
             *q++ = val;
             memcpy(q, slirp_hostname, val);
             q += val;
         }

I wanted to add support for host-name (which is what feeds 'search=' in
/etc/resolve.conf, right?), but I missed something, cuz it doesn't work:

#define RFC1533_DOMAINNAME      15

         if (*slirp_domainname) {
             val = strlen(slirp_domainname);
             *q++ = RFC1533_DOMAINNAME;
             *q++ = val;
             memcpy(q, slirp_domainname, val);
             q += val;
         }

assuming my parameter passing is OK, is there something about the way the dhcp
offer is being constructed I need to know?

Carl K