bootp and ignore dhcp?

Scott Moser smoser at brickies.net
Fri Jul 27 16:20:56 UTC 2007

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Scott Moser wrote:
>    Is there a way that I can configure dhcpd to answer the bootp
> requests for known clients, but ignore *all* other requests ?  If its
> not possible, does anyone have any other suggestions to accomplish what
> I'm after?

In effort to do this, I set up config like:

subnet 192.168.76.0 netmask 255.255.252.0 {
    ignore unknown-clients;
    ignore booting;
    allow bootp;
    filename "/yaboot";
    host my-host {
       hardware ethernet 00:0d:60:1e:e0:9b;
       fixed-address my-host.domain.com;
    }
}

If I add "ignore booting" option, then I cannot serve the bootp request.
If I "allow booting", then I'll answer this client's dhcp requests also.
The relevant code is bootp function in server/bootp.c (as shown below).

I'm not exactly sure what the "booting" option is supposed to imply.  In
my experience, affects dhcp requests, but also (because of this code)
bootp requests.  I would have thought it was only intended to cover
dhcp.  Can anyone explain why the second stanza (SV_ALLOW_BOOTING) is
present below?

For the moment, I've just #ifdef'd it out, and I appear to be getting
the results that I wanted.

---- snippit from server/bootp.c ----
 	/* Drop the request if it's not allowed for this client. */
 	if ((oc = lookup_option (&server_universe, options, SV_ALLOW_BOOTP)) &&
 	    !evaluate_boolean_option_cache (&ignorep, packet, lease,
 					    (struct client_state *)0,
 					    packet -> options, options,
 					    &lease -> scope, oc, MDL)) {
 		if (!ignorep)
 			log_info ("%s: bootp disallowed", msgbuf);
 		goto out;
 	}

 	if ((oc = lookup_option (&server_universe,
 				 options, SV_ALLOW_BOOTING)) &&
 	    !evaluate_boolean_option_cache (&ignorep, packet, lease,
 					    (struct client_state *)0,
 					    packet -> options, options,
 					    &lease -> scope, oc, MDL)) {
 		if (!ignorep)
 			log_info ("%s: booting disallowed", msgbuf);
 		goto out;
 	}