client request preferred IP address

Jeff Weber jweber at amsc.com
Thu Jul 19 16:35:50 UTC 2007

On Thursday 19 July 2007 11:25, David W. Hankins wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 08:58:03AM -0500, Jeff Weber wrote:
> > Bummer.  The DHCP server is running MSWindows.  I'm probably at the mercy
> > of the server, which is remembering my MAC address.
>
> It's also possible that it gave your preferred address to another
> client (which may not be online anymore, or ont pingable if it is, but
> has an active lease in the server's database).

The temporary visitor in the cube next to mine keeps getting my preferred IP.
Yesterday evening we confirmed he had the IP, and I could also ping the IP.
This morning, I got in early, before he arrived and plugged his laptop into
our network.  At the time I could not ping the IP, nor could I get the IP
from the DHCP server.  After he arrived and plugged in his laptop, he got my
preferred IP back again, and I can ping it again.

Could the server hold an active lease on this IP while the laptop has been
removed from the network?

	Jeff
--
Jeff Weber