client request preferred IP address

Jeff Weber jweber at amsc.com
Thu Jul 19 13:58:03 UTC 2007

On my SUSE 10.1 box, I did:

/etc/init.d/network stop

verified my preferred IP address was currently unallocated

edited my preferred IP address into my old leases
(/var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth1.leases)

/etc/init.d/network start

checked new IP address, which unfortunately never changed from the IP address
I started with.

Bummer.  The DHCP server is running MSWindows.  I'm probably at the mercy of
the server, which is remembering my MAC address.

BTW, here's why I'm undertaking this exercise.  Our corporate network is
nearly 95% MWWindows.  We have no DNS.  My group doesn't have much influence
with the DHCP server administration.  The DHCP IP addresses tend to be very
sticky, especially on the Windows boxes.  Some Windows users say their IP
hasn't moved in years.

We have a few Linux boxes, and often SSH between the Linux boxes.
I work with the pool of Linux boxes, which see the IP addresses move every few
months.  The reasons are not fully understood.   When this happens, it's a
nuisance.  It usually means having to re-memorize the new IP addresses, and
hunt down and modify every record of previous IP addresses.

It would be a great feature if I could "re-claim" my previous IP address
immediately after I lose it.

I'm running dhcp-client 3.0.3.

	Jeff

--