DHCPV6 Problems

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jul 19 06:43:48 UTC 2007

Rommel S. Laranjo wrote:

>My FreeBSD 6.2-Release was installed with dhcp-client support in it and
>I think it contains the dhcp-3.0.5 version of dhclient.
>
>My problem now is.. Is there a way I can install dhcp-4.0.0a1 to
>automatically overwrite the old version of dhclient?

I doubt it, the 3.0.5 client will have been installed by whatever
package management FreeBSD uses while the 4.0.0 client won't be
packaged. You could probably just compile and install the 4.0 client
(overwriting the 3.0.5 client) but that leaves you with two potential
problems :

1) Installing the 4.0 client might not overwrite all the bits of the
old client - leaving you with some old bits still around.

2) Package management might decide to overwrite what it thinks is
3.0.5 with 3.0.6 at some point in the future.

Safest would be to remove the 3.0.5 client completely and then
install the 4.0 client.

This isn't a DHCP specific thing, it's a general software management issue.