DHCP performance testing

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sat Jul 14 02:39:23 UTC 2007

Puter:

My apologies for not answering your question more directly.

I checked out two vendors in this field, Nominum, BlueCat networks, and
Infoblox, and saw mention of leases per second
(http://www.nominum.com/getFile.php?file=nominum_ds_dcs.pdf &
http://www.bluecatnetworks.com/products/adonis-dns-dhcp-appliances/dns-dhcp-
management/techspec/ & https://infoblox.com/products/pdf/ds_hardware.pdf).
That said, it's not been issue of much discussion here.  There have been
discussions around how well ISC's DHCP responds in the event of a cable node
failure or building power outage, but generally there are other gating
factors for service restoration than DHCP, such as TFTP performance.

A worst case scenario is complete power outage with simultaneous power on.
It's unlikely that your 60,000 nodes would experience that, unless they
really are located on one campus.  I haven't seen one, but I hope that some
of the DHCP appliance vendors have done some research that calculates the
bell curve for lease requests with x nodes, and how quickly their request is
satisfied if the appliance can perform y leases per second.

Regards,

Frank