Strange duplicate lease every min ...

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jul 13 13:46:41 UTC 2007

Sébastien CRAMATTE wrote:

>Since few days I can observe a strange behaviour in our DHCP server.

It's not neccessarily strange - but we can't tell without logs.

>I can see dhcp.leases file  that some are renewed each 2mn (see
>dhcpd.leases extract below

No it isn't that's every 2 SECONDS

>   starts 5 2007/07/13 12:25:54;
>   starts 5 2007/07/13 12:25:56;
>   starts 5 2007/07/13 12:25:58;

We can't tell what the problem is without seeing
the logs that go with these leases, but my best
guess would be :

1) Client is not getting a response back from the
server in response to dhcp-request. It is
resending the request every 2s which results in
teh server creating a lease lease file entry each
time.

2) Client is getting response but not accepting it for some reason.

First step is to look in your logs and tie-up
stuff in the logs with what's in the lease file -
that should give a bit more information about
what is going on.