lease duration in partner-down state

LEMORDANT Philippe RD-CORE-LAN philippe.lemordant at orange-ftgroup.com
Wed Jul 4 15:26:59 UTC 2007

All,

In the partner-down state, the DHCP server only allocates a lease
duration of MCLT seconds (which is 15 min in my case). The
draft-ietf-dhc-failover-12 RFC is not clear on that point.
I expected a lease duration set to the "desired lease interval" (which
is 24H in my case). Even after STOS+MCLT seconds, the lease duration is
still set to MCLT.
Consequence is that in partner-down state, clients will renew their
lease every MCLT/2 ! There is a risk of overflooding.
I don't see any over solution except oversizing the MCLT.
Is this identified as a bug or is there any evolution planned on that
point ?

Philippe Lemordant