two interfaces, same range

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 16:13:48 UTC 2007

mateus wrote:
>first of all thanks for the answers..
>
>i'll try to explain better
>i have a lan with 30 computers, 2 switches and 1 server with 2
>interfaces, each interface is conected in differents switch.
>eth0 has the ip 192.168.0.1 and eth1 192.168.1.1
>im using this configuration
>
>subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>range 192.168.0.10 192.168.0.100;
>option routers 192.168.0.1;
><other options>
>}
>
>subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>range 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.200;
>option routers 192.168.1.1;
><other options>
>}
>
>is working well, but i would like to use the same range (of course i'll
>change de ip in each interface)
>something like this:
>
>#eth0 with ip 192.168.0.1
>range 192.168.0.10 192.168.0.100;
>option routers 192.168.0.1;
><other options>
>}
>
>#eth1 with ip 192.168.0.2
>subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>range 192.168.0.101 192.168.0.200;
>option routers 192.168.0.2;
><other options>
>}

Right, so you want the SAME subnet on two interfaces, with each
interface connected to a separate switch (and presumably no other
link between the switches).

This would not be a valid IP network setup unless you do one of two things :

1) Configure the server box as a bridge. In that case the bridge
interface has a single IP address but neither of the ethernet
interfaces would have their own address.

2) Link the two external switches together to make the two networks
into a single network.

However, as per earlier posts from myself and Glenn, in neither case
can you specify clients by interface - and I'm not sure how the dhcp
server will work in a bridge device (to do with the way it handles
interfaces at a low level in the OS).