what part of dhcpd.leases file is moved (or copied) to dhcpd.leases~?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 17:07:16 UTC 2007

Luc T. wrote:

>I see the importance of not to move time backward.
>
>   However, if a person has unintensionally changed a machine's time
>forward, how can he get the time back?

If you've done that then you have no choice - change the clock and
(IMHO) reboot. Your logs will still be messed up, some databases will
be potentially screwed up, etc. How bad things are depends on what
you have on your machine. I know (for example) that rrdtool does NOT
support backwards time changes, it will never process an update
earlier than the last one already in the database - you would either
have to restore from a backup prior to the time warp, or accept that
you'll get no logging until time catches up.

The only completely safe method is to switch off, wait till you get
to the time the OS thinks it was at, reset the hardware clock, start
up again.

>(at least I know that we can do this no problem in windows machines).

No, you THINK you can do it no problem with a Windows machine. Pretty
much the same considerations apply.