dhclient raw socket?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri Jan 19 17:21:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 09:14:12AM -0500, Schmidt, Jolynn wrote:
> Interesting, I compiled it using Gentoo but will be installing it in to
> an initrd image.

Linux uses something we call 'LPF', it's the Linux variety of the
BPF.  It'll require some options be configured in the kernel, so
since you're making an initrd...

> I want to write a very simple dhclient-script and use
> the dhclient.conf to request a few extra options.  We have a custom
> Linux OS that we need to configure during a PXE build. udhcpc is pretty
> much designed for this, is this doable with dhclient?  I have yet to see
> a "simple" dhclient-script.

I'm not sure what you mean.  The stock linux client script is already
pretty simple.

If you're going to edit the script, be careful not to let the script
return an error status.  The dhclient daemon interprets this as a
detection that the address is already in use, and issues a DECLINE.

If the error is consistent, then this quickly turns into an infinite
loop.