dhcpdecline messages

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jan 17 00:03:44 UTC 2007

Hai Tao wrote:

>you are right for host statement.
>   however, when I ping this ip address, no reply received. how can
>the client find a conflict while I can not ping it? thanks!

"Responds to ping" is not the same as "is using an IP address" -
unfortunately. Not long ago it was the norm that devices would
respond to pings, these days, for a number of reasons including abuse
by virii and some false perception of security, many admins turn this
off and many devices/OSs default to not responding.

It's a PITA as it makes network troubleshooting a LOT harder.

As David has already said, they device will normally use ARP to
determine if a device is already using an address. ARP is required
for IP to work and so cannot be turned off by 'misguided'
admins/developers.

I think you will find that after attempting to ping the address in
question, if you then query the arp table ('arp -a' on most unix like
systems) you will find that there is in fact a mac address listed for
it.