JDHCPSim

Gene Rackow rackow at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 9 13:29:33 UTC 2007

This looks like a very interesting tool.

Our networking group is looking for a tool that can be used to just test the availablity
of the dhcp server.  We've run into some very strange problems where randomly something happens
that prevents the response from getting back to the clients on specific subnets.  We hven't been
able to determine the exact cause yet.  Almost anything appears to reset the condition.
A  reset on the dhcp server port, a ifdown/up of the dhcp server interface, a reset of the
interface for one, not all, of the wireless access points on that subnet, etc.  Very odd.
We've  tried running network dumps along the way, but so far things really don't make much
sense.  We need to start catching this problem before the users start seeing it.

Before attempting to use this to create such a tool, does anyone
already have something liek a nagios or bigbrother module that could be used?
I think it would be pretty easy to do with this.  Just wondering if it's already been done.

Or possibly a tool that
  sends a dhcp request
  if no-response or bad-response, send mail to sysadmin

--Gene

Ragnar Lonn made the following keystrokes: