SV: DISCOVER bursts

Staffan.Ungsgard at teliasonera.com Staffan.Ungsgard at teliasonera.com
Tue Jan 9 11:37:23 UTC 2007

My original analysis was somewhat off, but my race theory still remains.

This is what happened:

The client did a discover and got an offer. In respons to the offer the client erroneously answered with a new discover.
This second discover arrived 20 milliseconds after the first discover. The dhcp server regarded this a totally new discover.
I have sniffed the traffic and diffed the discovers - they are indeed the same.
It does seem like the server still at the second discover has recorded the original one and hence offers a new address.

I know it's single threaded - this is very strange.

-- Staffan