DISCOVER bursts

Staffan.Ungsgard at teliasonera.com Staffan.Ungsgard at teliasonera.com
Fri Jan 5 09:55:02 UTC 2007

Hi
We have problem with a special customers CPE, where the CPE send four rapid DHCPDISCOVERS with just 20 milliseconds apart.
When the DHCP server gets the DISCOVERS it issues different addresses on each discover. I have snoop logs of the traffic, and the DISCOVERS are indeed exactly the same in each DHCPDISCOVER. It seems that the when the server handles the second DISCOVER, it doesn't "remeber" that is has already offered a fresh ip address from an identical DHCPDISCOVER 20 ms earlier.
To furthermore illustrate this, we have a lease limit of two, so technically it shouldn't offer more than two addresses to the same line identifier even if the "Client Identifier" differed, but it isses three different addresses and only barfs at the fourth DHCPDISCOVER saying "no billing".

Is there a race problem in the dhcp server ?

The hardware is a Sun V210 running Solaris 8. No supermachine, but they're still selling them.

Best Regards

-- Staffan Ungsgard