dhcpd logfile format

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Jan 3 19:37:27 UTC 2007

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 06:01:52AM -0600, Tim Peiffer wrote:
> You will of course need to open the source again to provide context to
> the message.

And take special care of the "lts" syslog lines.  There is only one
such line in 3.1.x, and it means what you would think, but there are
two in 3.0.x, and they are not consistent.  One is done as failover
servers enter normal state, and measures "leases to send" to balance
the pool.  The other is measured as leases are allocated, and measures
"leases to solicit" from the partner server in order afford balance
again (if there is a large enough discrepancy, it sends a failover
message to request a balance check be made).

So you might get 'lts 8' and 'lts -8', and both numbers would be
correct.

You can only tell the difference between the two by how many spaces
are in the log message.  I forget which is which now.  It's obvious
from the source, however.

> ISC - can we get a log messages section in one of the next releases'
> documentation section?

At some point we want to rework the logging system.  It's not quite
as tunable as we would like, and it's not always a good idea
performance-wise to send things to syslog().

I can't imagine we'd do that without updating the documentation.