agent.circuit-id as dhcp-client-identifier

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Jan 3 19:20:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 11:55:18PM +0100, Frode Nordahl wrote:
> On 18. des. 2006, at 20.05, Simon Hobson wrote:
> >> Is it possible to configure ISC DHCPD to set dhcp-client-identifier
> >> to the value of agent.circuit-id before further processing incoming
> >> requests?

Nope.

> > version 3.1 has I believe the ability to set the identifier selection
> > code. The default is match first value ( client-id, hardware) the
> > same as version 3.0.x, but you could change this to match first value
> > ( agent.circuit-id, client-id, hardware) in version 3.1 to achieve
> > what you want.

Actually, this feature did not make the final cut for 3.1.

I think the DHCPv6 implementation ("4.0.0") is going to have something
simlar, but only if you're going to be using host records.  It's a
mechanism to match host records on arbitrary packet contents (option
values).  We had to do this for DHCPv6, we might be able to backport
it to DHCPv4 with little effort.

But we might also do away with it entirely, it's a pretty early
prototype at this point, and we're not entirely happy with it yet.

> But I was not able to find this in the current released alpha source
> code. Has there been time for work on this feature? Can I do anything
> to help? :-)

We're doing some protracted development right now for DHCPv6
support.  When that's done and released, and bugfixed, we'll
start working on DHCPv4 features again.

If you wanted to sponsor or shape our priorities for development,
I could put you in touch with one of our people.

And of course, we also accept patches.