a small comment on isc dhcp

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 18:15:56 UTC 2007

David W. Hankins wrote:

>For example, ISC DHCP's 'authoritative' mess.  There are those
>that would applaud the attempt not to spit garbage out onto
>any random interface someone 'accidentally' started dhcpd
>on.  But if you've ever had a non-authoritative dhcpd
>on one of your networks, you might be of the opinion that it
>would actually be better if it did DHCPNAK other clients.
>
>By failing to NAK, it effectively hides itself...it still
>addresses some of your clients (which is bad), it just
>becomes less visible.

Been there, got the teeth marks !

In fact I got called out to a customer only last week for this very
problem. Of course we couldn't pin it down to "oh yes, so and so did
X yesterday" because it happened the week before, and the Microsoft
clients were only just timing out on their 8 day leased from the
Microsoft server - then they stopped working.