help required.................

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Feb 12 11:30:29 UTC 2007

>Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:59:00 +0530
>From: "hitesh sharma" <hitesh at elitecore.com>

>6>    in  /var/lib/dhcp ,  in .leases file , it will comntain all leases,
>or only those are valid ?

The leases file may contain old expired leases as well, unless that IP
address was used for another client because it was the least recently
used. This allows the dhcp server to allocate the same IP address that
a client previously had. This behaviour is specified in RFC2131.

For more details on the lease file contents please have a look at

  man dhcpd.leases

> 7>    we know that, at the 50 % time of leases, client try the renew it.
> if it successes in that, remaining   50%  leases first will use by client
> then new allocated leases, or, client will use new leases, but
>remaining 50% leases in leases database.

The client stores a value which is the time when the lease expires.
When it renews the lease, it receives a message from the DHCP server
which extends the lease time. The client then stores the new expiry
time for the lease. The server also stores this value so it knows when
the lease will expire. When the client gets 50% of the way through the
new lease time it will attempt to renew again. And so the cycle repeats.

regards,
-glenn