Option 82

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Sat Feb 10 12:47:09 UTC 2007

>Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 18:50:55 +0400
>From: "Gordon Banks" <gordonban at gmail.com>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Option 82
>
>Hello all,
>I am trying to configure my fedora core ISC DHCP server to support option 82
>requests. Can anybody direct me to a tutorial or proper documentation on
>doing this.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gordon

DHCP option 82 is "relay-agent-information". Now you haven't given much
information here, so I'll make a wild guess :)

You have remote subnets, and a relay agent, perhaps a router,
forwarding the requests. And you want to decode the relay
agentinformation so you can use the right subnet for the requests. Am I
close?

The good news is that the ISC dhcp server does this automatically for
you. Probably why there isn't extensive documentationon it. Define all
your subnets in the same way, eg:

# local subnet
subnet 1.2.3.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
}
# remote subnet
subnet 5.6.7.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
}

For more information on the relay options have a look at the
dhcp-options man page and search for 'RELAY AGENT INFORMATION OPTION'.

HTH.

regards,
-glenn