Clients not recieving IP's via DHCP

Tim Philips timp at rndgroup.co.nz
Thu Feb 8 05:49:17 UTC 2007

Hi All,

[sorry for the lengthy e-mail below]

I'm trying to diagnose a very weird problem for a client.  They several
Windows Vista clients on their network and they are having problems
obtaining an IP address via DHCP (all other Windows XP and Linux clients
are working fine).

To try and diagnose this outside of the clients production network I
have managed to replicate the problem in my personal network using my
XBOX and Nintendo Wii (based on the information below) (all other Linux,
Mac OSX and Windows clients work like a charm).

The ISC DHCP version is 3.0.1-58.EL4 (installed from RPM on CentOS 4.4).
The basic configuration for the DHCP server is as follows:

server-identifier router;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.2.1;
option routers 192.168.2.1;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.2.255;
default-lease-time 7200;
max-lease-time 50000;
ignore client-updates;
ddns-update-style none;
next-server 192.168.2.1;
authoritative;

subnet 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        range 192.168.2.100 192.168.2.150;
}

host xbox {
        hardware ethernet 00:0D:3A:4E:F4:DA;
        fixed-address 192.168.2.252;
}

When I enable DHCP on the XBOX and bring up the clients Ethernet
interface I see the following (as example) loops 12 times in the
messages file:

Feb  8 18:28:37 thinktank1 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:0d:3a:4e:f4:da
via eth0
Feb  8 18:28:37 thinktank1 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.2.252 to
00:0d:3a:4e:f4:da via eth0

There is no firewall between the XBOX and the DHCP server.

I have put another client (Linux) on the network and executed tcpdump
and I don't see anything coming back from the client after the DHCPOFFER
has been sent.  Looking on several mailing lists and google (and
friends) it indicates that the client may be expecting some additional
options that the DHCP server isn't sending but I can't for the life of
me figure out what.

I have downloaded a Win32 DHCP client and installed that on a spare
Windows XP computer and right away the client was able to obtain an IP
address from the DHCP server, so I'm picking I have miss configured
something with the options for the given clients under ISC. I have even
attempted to set a static IP address on the client (which works fine).

Any clues that would help me solve the problem would be much appreciated!

Cheers ;)

--

Thanks
Tim Philips (RHCE)