How does DHCPD determine what IP address to assign and...

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Dec 31 19:02:12 UTC 2007

Niall O'Reilly wrote:

>OTOH, I prefer to use only "deny" commands, and never "allow".  ISTR
>recent advice on the list from one of the regulars, recommending systematic
>use of either "allow" only or "deny" only throughout the configuration.

It's only an issue within the same pool - so having 'allow' in one
pool and 'deny' in another pool is no problem.

The problem isn't that the server doesn't handle it, it's that the
way a mix of allow and deny in the same pool interact - it is defined
but non-obvious (and I can't recall how it works anyway !).