VLAN & DHCP server

Alan Hagge Alan.Hagge at warnerbros.com
Thu Dec 13 16:04:05 UTC 2007

All true; however the problem that I've run into is when I want to
assign fixed addresses to one VLAN interface on a host, while allowing
others to be pulled from a pool.  I attempted to send this to the list
on a prior occasion, but apparently it never appeared:

-----
Our network consists of two VLANs, both served by a single DHCP server
(with direct connections to both VLANs).  Some of our client machines
are in one VLAN, some in both.  Some need fixed addresses in one or the
other VLAN, a few need them in both.  Most need only pooled addresses in
both.  I need to use DDNS to set hostnames for each IP address. How can
I set this up?

Here's what I've tried.  In one VLAN (the "primary" LAN), the
ddns-hostname is set to

  subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    ddns-hostname = host-decl-name;
  }

while in the other VLAN (the "secondary"), I append to the
host-decl-name to get the name to send to DNS:

  subnet 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    ddns-hostname = concat(host-decl-name,"-vlan2");
  }

dhcpd won't let me have more than one "host" section with the same
hostname, so I've tried various options:

   host myhost        { hardware ethernet 00:01:02:03:04:05; }

works, assigns IP addresses (from pools in both subnets) and updates DNS
with correct hostnames and IP addresses.

  host myhost        { hardware ethernet 00:01:02:03:04:05;
fixed-address 192.168.1.10; }

doesn't work.  VLAN1 is assigned correctly (myhost->192.168.1.10), VLAN2
is assigned an IP address from a pool but not given the specified
hostname in DNS.  Syslog has "dhcpd: data: host_decl_name: not
available", indicating that it's not using this host line for the
MAC-address-to-hostname mapping.

  host myhost        { hardware ethernet 00:01:02:03:04:05;
fixed-address 192.168.2.10; }

doesn't work.  Same as above, but with the VLANs reversed.

  host myhost        { hardware ethernet 00:01:02:03:04:05;
fixed-address 192.168.1.10, 192.168.2.10; }

works, assigns IP addresses (to specified fixed addresses) and updates
DNS with correct hostnames and IP addresses.

Is there something I'm missing?  Is there some other syntax to use to
have a single host, with one MAC address, able to be assigned to a
pooled address in one VLAN and a fixed address in another VLAN?

Thanks in advance...

Any advice is appreciated,

Alan

P.S.  Sorry for hijacking the thread...