PXE only Config [OT]

Daniel Wells daniel_wells at byu.edu
Tue Dec 4 16:11:49 UTC 2007

Thank you both very much for your replies.  This helps clarify things quite a bit.  I was afraid modifying the source code might be the only way to accomplish our needs.

I did find a project that actually was able to patch ISC DHCP to be a DHCP proxy.  The project was from 2002 but I was able to track down the person who wrote the code.  He said he tried working with ISC to get his patches added officially to the project but they were rejected due to patch size restrictions (I am not sure what that means).  You can find his patches here: http://gnu.rtin.bz/ftp.gnu.org/savannah/files/pxe-toolkit/ . He said they work with the ISC DHCP version 3.0, but couldn't guarantee they would work with later versions.

So it looks like someone already did the work but ISC wasn't interested in it at the time.

It uses conf options like:

dhcpd-operation normal;
# dhcpd-operation proxy;
# dhcpd-operation disable;

to specify which mode DHCPD ran in. Briefly looking at the patches made it look like it did what we need.  The question is whether we want to go back to the original 3.0 version in order to ensure that the patches will install.

Thanks again for your help.  The next question is whether there are other linux packages out there that can act as a DHCP proxy.

Thanks again for your help.

    - Daniel Wells