PXE only Config [OT]

Daniel Wells daniel_wells at byu.edu
Mon Dec 3 21:54:08 UTC 2007

So yes,

Thanks for the clarification.  The technical name is a DHCP proxy.  So are you saying that ISC DHCP cannot be configured as a Proxy DHCP or that it is just difficult.  It seems that the main difference is that the proxy can reply with a null client IP address field (from the spec," If this is a Proxy DHCP Service, then the client IP address field is null (0.0.0.0)").

There is great diagram in the PXE spec (v 2.1) that illustrates exactly what we want.

"Figure 2-4 illustrates the case of a Proxy DHCP service and the DHCP service on different servers. In this case, the Proxy DHCP service listens to UDP port (67) and responds in parallel with the DHCP service."

I apologize for the confusing term "PXE server".  I hope this clarifies things.

That being said, does anyone know of any documentation that might discuss setting up ISC DHCP as a proxy DHCP?

    - Daniel Wells