Broadcast

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Sun Aug 26 13:30:30 UTC 2007

>Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:56:10 +0100
>From: "Johan Mazel" <johan.mazel at gmail.com>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Broadcast
>
>Hi
>I'd like to know if it's possible to send, on a local network with private
>IPs (192.168.0.0) with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, a broadcast request
>through the ip address 192.168.0.255. And I'd like to know if there is a way
>make the DHCP server answer to this request in the same way as a normal DHCP
>broadcast request (255.255.255.255), because it seems to not answer by
>default.
>Thanks for your answers.
>Johan

Not possible. The design of DHCP has to consider the situation where
the client has no idea what network it is on when it first starts up,
so how can it know to broadcast to 192.168.0.255, or in fact any other
address?

Can you give some more specific information about your situation? There
may be a different way to achieve the result you want.

regards,
-glenn