dhcpinform request from Vista gets wrong Name servers

Jeffrey Collyer jwc3f at virginia.edu
Thu Aug 16 13:22:29 UTC 2007

Had the same problem here with the captive portal/registration network.

My fix was to use Bind 9's views, and define one view for registration
networks and the other normal view for all other queries on our central
DNS servers.   That way even if the machines get the "wrong" dns servers
on the dhcpinform, they get the "right" captive addresses returned.

Adding views did make the DNS server a bit slow to do a full restart,
but other than that the DNS machines load hasn't changed much.

--
Jeffrey Collyer
Hostmaster/CMS Admin