Can PPTP client request the DHCPINFO via the PPP interface(s)?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Aug 12 08:49:15 UTC 2007

Tian Tian wrote:

>Do you mean that I cannot start the dhcpd as "./dhcpd
>-cf /var/etc/dhcpd.conf ppp0"? And have to do the dhcp
>relay as "./dhcrelay -i ppp0"? Could you please give
>me a example? (sorry, a little confused!)

As far as I know, neither the server nor the relay will work with a
ppp interface - it's to do with the stuff the package has to do to
bypass the IP stack.

These threads should help :

http://marc.info/?t=117262129400001&r=1&w=2

http://marc.info/?t=117076191800030&r=1&w=2

and in particular this post (from the second thread above)

http://marc.info/?l=dhcp-users&m=117087268328273&w=2

http://marc.info/?t=114828997200001&r=1&w=2

 From this thread there is mention of another package dhcp-helper, but
I don't think this will help since in this case the problem was
supporting a serial (ppp) link from relay to sever (ie across a
serial WAN connection).