Unexpected behavior when moving from 'unknown' to 'known'

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Fri Aug 10 09:20:37 UTC 2007

On 10 Aug 2007, at 01:13, David Sotnick wrote:
> Surely someone must have some insight here...
	I've hesitated to reply, as I'm neither sure what follows is
relevant to
	your circumstances nor able to give detailed illustration.

	We had a problem which seems similar some years ago.  Unknown clients
	were obtaining RFC1918 addresses as planned, but then holding on to
them
	even when the administrative and provisioning work to make them known
	had been completed.

	Our solution was to replace 'allow unknown' with 'deny known' and
	likewise 'allow known' with 'deny unknown'.  This seems to have caused
	unexpired leases on RFC1918 addresses to be forced out of service as
	soon as the client became 'known'.

	FWIW, IHTH, YMMV

	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services

	PGP key ID: AE995ED9 (see www.pgp.net)
	Fingerprint: 23DC C6DE 8874 2432 2BE0 3905 7987 E48D AE99 5ED9