multiple router option with metric

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 13:32:05 UTC 2007

Mohammad Shakir wrote:

>   senario is that I have configure two server as gateway for my
>windows clients, when one gateway down, all request goes to 2nd
>gateway.

Best way to do this is with a virtual router protocol like HSRP (Hot
Standby Router Protocol) if using Cisco kit, or another whose name I
can't remember which isn't proprietry. It's a LOT simpler than trying
to configure every device on the network to understand the concept of
"router is down, use another" !

My policy to to configure all such things in the routers themselves
so that every device simply has a single default gateway for all (non
local) traffic.