dhcpd.conf question

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Sep 28 18:06:16 UTC 2006

Eric Helm wrote:

>Is there a BCP or preferred configuration with regards to the use of the
>'include' statement? I work for an ISP, and we are just now beginning to
>use DHCP for alot of our subscriber services. I would like to keep a
>separate config file for each POP and service and then simply 'include'
>the file in the main dhcpd.conf. Is there any performance hit or issues
>I could run into by doing it this way as opposed to keeping everything
>in dhcpd.conf?

I don't think there is any performance penalty - and if there was, it
would only be whilst starting up (the conf file is not referred to
after startup).

The upside is, as you have figured, the ability to segregate bits of
the config to make easier management. I would say, if it's makes your
management easier - go for it.