simulating dhcp requests?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri Sep 15 15:53:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 10:17:25AM -0400, Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
> Is there a way to use dhclient to simulate a bunch of dhcp requests?
> I'm trying to do a load test on our dhcp configuration.  But, dhclient
> want to bind to an existing interface.  The other way I've briefly
> considered is to generate the dhcprequest through the existing
> interface and using linux netfilter to spoof random MAC addresses.
> Thanks for any tips.

One of the tactics I found useful for loadtesting to find performance
bottlenecks in our code (there are a few) was to hack the DHCP /server/
interface code to repetetively inject a crafted DISCOVER and REQUEST
packet that I knew would work.

I found what I learned from this more useful than what I would have
learned if there were unanswered questions about how much traffic
might reasonably have been delivered for processing.

That is, this does not stress the network delivery, which is a problem
if you are trying to find problems in an installed system, but is an
advantage if you're trying to tune everything behind that.