shared-network question

Bruce Hudson Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca
Mon Oct 23 15:39:14 UTC 2006

> Its not desirable to have this on one DHCP server at this point. I was
> thinking, that since there will be a giaddr in the DHCPDISCOVER I could
> use the shared-network statement with both subnets I need, however leave
> out the appropriate range on each DHCP server. What do you think?

    How is your router supposed to know which giaddr to use when it sees an
incoming DHCP broadcast? If you have something like a Cisco (you mentioned
ip-helper), only the primary address is used in DHCP forwarding. If you put
two ip-helper statements on your interface, both of your DHCP servers will
see all requests.

    You need some other mechanism to decide which requests each server should
handle.
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson at Dal.CA
UCIS, Networks and Systems		|