duplicate leases problem

gunhan.ataseven at vgregion.se gunhan.ataseven at vgregion.se
Thu Nov 30 10:26:05 UTC 2006

 Hi!
I have been trying to understand this thin= g about duplicate leases, i have
followed several threads and read some mai= ls here too. But i still don't
quite get it i'm afraid. So now i'm posting = another question about this
topic.

We are using Novell Zenworks 7, w= here the clients (Dell) upon start
allwaysdoes a pxe boot, loads a linux k= ernel from a server and then
restarts and loads win xp. The dhcp server is = 3.05rc3 in a failover
configuration.

The subnet declarations look li= ke this,

subnet 138.233.165.128 netmask 255.255.255.128 {
 &= nbsp; default-lease-time 3600;
   max-lease-time 86400;
&nb= sp;  option routers 138.233.165.254;
   deny duplicates;   one-lease-per-client true;
   pool {
 =      failover peer "foo";
    &n= bsp; deny dynamic bootp clients;
      range 13= 8.233.165.141 138.233.165.251;
   }
}

I use the "deny" and "one-lease.." option only in the subnet declarations.
My questions are.

1. Will the server allways hand out 2 adres= ses if the client uses
differentclient identifiers, regardless of the abov= e mentioned options in
my subnet declaration?

2. I can see in the lo= g that the server has identified duplicates, is that
the same thing as prep= aring to offer that adress to another client before
lease expiration? Or do= es it just conclude that there is a duplicate
without doing anything about = it?
This is the message i get,
dhcpd: uid lease 138.233.180.55 for c= lient 00:13:72:d0:6b:b7 is duplicate
on 138.233.180.0/25

3. I get the feeling the option one-le= ase-per-client true; is kind of
pointless here, but i have it there anyway.= According to the man file i
shouldn't need it to solve this particu= lar problem, or do i? I have tried
without it too, no difference.

4.= I was convinced that the "deny duplicates" option would s= olve the
problem, am i doing something wrong in the config file, do i use i= t the
wrong way?

The bottom line is, the client allways grabs= 2 adresses upon start, and the
second adress is not available until it has= expired, resulting in ip adress
shortage on some subnets. The only solutio= n right now is to use really
short lease times.
=
G=FCnhan Ataseven
Tekniksamordnare=  Systemteknikgruppen NU- IT, NU-sjukv=E5rden
Tel.&nb= sp;0520-478784, 0702-830402
Email gunhan.ataseven at vgregion.se[1]
=

--- Links ---