members allow/deny question

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Nov 29 21:41:32 UTC 2006

Duane Cox wrote:

>My question is, is the specific "deny" needed?
>What would happen if the "allow" pool was full, but another pool was
>available because there was no deny, assuming I deleted the "deny"
>statement?
>
>shared-network LMC1A-WEST-CH5 {
>         subnet 10.11.5.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>         }
>
>         subnet 10.252.235.128 netmask 255.255.255.224 {
>         }
>
>         pool {
>                 failover peer "dhcp";
>                 deny known-clients;
>                 deny dynamic bootp clients;
>                 range 10.11.5.100 10.11.5.250;
>                 option routers 10.11.5.254;
>                 allow members of "IPTV";
>         }
>
>         pool {
>                 failover peer "dhcp";
>                 deny known-clients;
>                 deny dynamic bootp clients;
>                 range 10.252.235.130 10.252.235.158;
>                 option routers 10.252.235.129;
>                 deny members of "IPTV";
>         }
>}

Allow and Deny is a non-trivial area ! Generally the suggestion is
that if you use an allow, then anything not allowed is denied, and
vice-versa. Not sure if that applied to allow/deny dynamic bootp
clients and known-clients - I think these are handled separately.
Leaving these two out for the moment, yes, you must deny your IPTV
clients from a pool if you do not want them to get an address from
it, this may be an explicit deny, or an implicit deny.

For example, if you had 2 different groups you could do :

pool {
   allow members of "a" ;
}
pool {
   allow members of "b" ;
}
pool {
   deny members of "a" ;
   deny members of "b" ;
}

In the first pool, b is implicitly denied. In the second pool, a is
implicitly denied. In the third pool, we must explicitly deny both a
and b.

If you leave out the deny statements in pool three, then members of a
can use pool1 or pool3, and members of b can use pool2 or pool3.

Simon