Are 32 Pools Too Many for 1 Subnet?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Nov 29 19:04:34 UTC 2006

Martin McCormick wrote:

>I know that multiple dhcp pools are allowed in any subnet, but
>are 32 too many?  We would be giving clients slightly different
>booting information as a method of load balancing depending upon
>which range they got an address in.  Thanks.

That shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure there will be a slight memory
overhead for each pool, but otherwise there should be no problem.
Some people actually have one pool per client (and associated class)
as a way of assigning effectively a fixed address based on something
other than hardware address.