dhcp-users Digest V1 #235

Anthony Papineau anthony at exegenix.com
Wed Nov 29 13:37:58 UTC 2006

> From: Bruce Hudson <Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca>
> Subject: Re: strange DHCPDECLINE behaviour on fixed/static address
> Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:27:42 -0400 (AST)
>
>> What is the client supposed to do if the server deny's the
>> DHCPDECLINE message?
>
>     The server cannot "deny" the DHCPDECLINE message. It is a
> status back
> from the client telling the server that it did not accept the
> address. The
> normal reason for this to happen is that the client is seeing that the
> address is already in use on the network.

If that is the case, then what does the 'allow/deny/ignore' decline
keyword option in dhcp.conf actually do?

>     If you are using fixed addresses, there is no pool to remove
> the address
> from. The server offers the same address again since you've
> configured it so
> that is the only offer it can make.
>
>     If you've configured the address into a pool as well as
> assigning it as a
> fixed address, that is a configuration error you should correct.
> The server
> does not try to out-think the administators to protect them from
> them-selves.

The address is/was NOT assigned to a pool as well as fixed. In fact
there was actually no conflict on the network when this problem
occurred - the system was having a hardware failure and this appears
to be a symptom of it.  There were no other systems on the network
with the same IP assigned.

However since the address is fixed and there was nothing that could
be done in the dhcp server to resolve the problem I was hoping there
was a way to tell the DHCP server to ignore that client, or send a
message to the client to 'go away' for a while.

>     If you want to eliminate the looping requests, determine who
> else is
> using the address and stop them. If you have given out the address
> through
> DHCP and have a short enough leave, changing the configuration and
> waiting
> may be enough. Otherwise you may need to shut down the DHCP server
> and the
> offending client, edit the lease file to remove the bad lease,
> restart the
> server, and reboot the client.

The problem was that this happened overnight - since the client made
multiple re-requests every second, the system log got very huge very
fast, to the point where it filled up several gigabytes.

Anthony R. Papineau
Systems & Network Administrator
Exegenix Canada, Exegenix Research
416-762-2433, 416-762-2453(fax)