strange DHCPDECLINE behaviour on fixed/static address

Anthony Papineau anthony at exegenix.com
Tue Nov 28 16:30:43 UTC 2006

What is the default for the 'decline' keyword in dhcpd.conf?  allow/
deny/ignore ?
We had a strange problem with system over the weekend.  It started
sending DHCPDECLINE messages to the server.

I have not explicitly set allow, deny or ignore for the decline
keyword in dhcp.conf.  The server is configured to assign a fixed
address for this particular system - so we ended up with thousands of
repeated occurrences of: DHCPDISCOVER, DHCPOFFER, DHCPREQUEST,
DHCPACK, DHCPDECLINE sequences.

I'm guessing that since the address is fixed in the server it doesn't
try to remove the address from the pool etc, however what should it
do?  And how does setting allow, deny, or ignore affect it?

 From what little documentation I can find, it looks like setting
ignore decline will at least stop the DHCPDECLINE message from being
logged - however unless the client does something different I'm still
going to get looping requests for the IP for that system.

What is the client supposed to do if the server deny's the
DHCPDECLINE message?

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

Anthony R. Papineau